The Columbia Chamber of Commerce is looking for individuals who want to make an impact on Columbia. We want team players who are innovative, passionate, accountable, and willing to provide for the needs and desires of the business community of Columbia. Open positions will be listed below.
Director of Events
JOB TITLE: Director of Events
ORGANIZATION: Columbia Chamber of Commerce
REPORTS TO: Columbia Chamber of Commerce VP of External Affairs
ABOUT THE CHAMBER: The Mission of the Columbia Chamber of Commerce is to lead our community, drive commerce in our region, and advance community and regional collaborations, thereby enhancing the quality of where we live, learn, work and play.
The Columbia Chamber of Commerce works as a Convener of Inclusive Collaboration, Champion for Business and Catalyst for a Thriving Community. We strive to foster an environment that welcomes diverse voices on initiatives to serve the entire community best. We observe the Principles of Community within our organization.
SCOPE OF POSITION: The Director of Events will work with committees, committee chairs and staff to facilitate their assigned projects and events through the setting of purpose and goals. As a representative of the Columbia Chamber of Commerce this role is an essential component in delivering value to members and working with all sponsors and participants of events and programs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Organize and develop a professional, entertaining and fun event where Columbia/Mid-Missouri businesses can showcase their products and services.
- Raise non-dues revenue for the Chamber through booth sales.
- Partner with divisions to create an event that reaches all aspects of the Chamber.
- Help to stimulate economic growth of Chamber Member businesses and organizations.
Chamber Classic Golf Tournament:
- Plan the logistics of a golf tournament that will generate revenue for the Columbia Chamber of Commerce.
- Work with the golf club, committee members and sponsors in preparation for the event.
- Manage all volunteers and 144 golfers on the day of the tournament.
Total Resource Campaign:
- Meet with staff to determine funding and contract needs for programs and events.
- Provide updated contract information to EasyTRC program developers.
- Review manual content for accuracy.
- Implement program with continual communication with the sales team and Chamber staff.
Annual Awards Banquet:
- Recognize volunteers and members for their work throughout the previous year.
- Coordinate with venue/catering and other sponsors.
- Plan all event logistics and prepare a detailed program.
Government and Workforce Programming:
- Work with the VP of External Affairs on the following events:
- Lunch with a Leader- four times annually
- Legislative Reception
- Legislative Review
- Civic Appreciation Breakfast
- Economic Outlook
- Leadership Visit
Program and Event Assistance with the Execution of Sponsorship Contracts:
- Will work independently and with the coordination of persons responsible for program/event implementation:
- Quarterly Membership Breakfast – four times annually
- AG Events – with assistance from the Agriculture Committee
- AG Banquet
- Food For Thought Seminars – two yearly
Act as the Staff Liaison:
- Agriculture Committee
- Golf Tournament Committee
- Showcase COMO
- TRC Committee
- 3-5 years of event planning experience preferred
- Experience with program management
- Ability to successfully manage multiple projects simultaneously and work independently
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, as well as extraordinary attention to detail
- Ability to develop and maintain good working relationships with staff, volunteers, Chamber members and the general public.
- Being team-minded is essential for this position and all positions within the Chamber.
- Occasional travel and events outside normal workday required.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Frequently transports materials with the need to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
The Columbia Chamber of Commerce is an equal opportunity employer.
LIMITATIONS ON MONETARY AUTHORITY: The Director of Events has no power to enter into contracts or to spend or commit to spend Chamber funds without the approval of the President.
To apply for this position, please email cover letter and resume to Lily White, Vice President of External Affairs, at [email protected].